Founded 1871 as a National School under the Education Act of 1870, for the education of children of the working class, under this act schooling became compulsory, there was a school fee of 4p per week.
A licence to hold Divine Services at Woodhouses was granted by the Bishop of Manchester to the Rev. Henry Stuart Byrth the vicar of Holy Trinity Church Bardsley, on the 14th Dec 1871. this licence did not permit marriages, only baptisms and funeral services.
During the 1920s the School became known as the Woodhouses C. of E. voluntary aided School and the Church as the School Church. In 1967 a new Day School was built and the School Church became Woodhouses Church. A license for marriage was granted.
1st July Evening Prayer 3 pm
8th July Morning Prayer 10 am
15th July Evening Prayer 3 pm
22nd July Evening Prayer 3 pm
29th July Holy Communion 10 am Joint parish service.
5th August Evening Prayer 3 pm
12th August Holy Communion 10 am
19th August Evening Prayer 3 pm
26th August Holy Communion 10 am
Mucky pups – mums and tots sessions on Tues and Thurs 9:15am – 11:15am term time only- enquirers please contact the vicar.
Walking Club – Join us at 7pm Wed evenings
Churchwarden: Mr Alan Kniveton
Church Secretary: Mr Andrew Clough
Sunday School: Mrs Rachel Glennon
Woodhouses Operatic Society
Originally founded as church society in 1924 producing ‘Magic Ruby’. The present society was re-formed after World War II in 1950 by Will Clough who remained as Chairman until 1999, the current chairman is Andrew Clough. The society is well known for its splendid shows of Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera.
We are located on the outskirts of the village on Ashton Road near the new bridge which crosses the M60 Motorway.